Skip to main content

RELIGION:Court Throws Out Church Worship Ban Suit, Fines Claimants ₦1m as United Methodist Church Nigeria Cleared to Resume Services in Jalingo.

By our Judicial Correspondent, February 17, 2026.

A court in Taraba State has thrown out a contentious church property dispute after ruling that the case was improperly filed and beyond its legal powers to hear.
The Upper Area Court No. 11 sitting in Jalingo struck out a suit filed by Reverend Philip Audu and the Global Methodist Church Nigeria seeking to restrain the United Methodist Church Nigeria from conducting worship at Jatutu Memorial Cathedral, Magami, Jalingo. The suit, marked UACJ/CV/48/2025, listed several church leaders and members of UMCN as defendants.

Court records show that defence counsel, E.A. Ibrahim-Effiong, filed a preliminary objection challenging the court’s jurisdiction and asked that the matter be dismissed at once with costs. He argued that the case was wrongly instituted and that the plaintiff lacked the legal standing to sue on behalf of an institutional church body.

In his ruling, Presiding Judge Barkindo Idris Chiroma held that the court lacked jurisdiction on several grounds, including absence of locus standi by the plaintiff, the urban location of the disputed property outside the court’s territorial powers, and abuse of court process. The court consequently upheld the objection, vacated its earlier ex-parte order of August 1, 2025, struck out the suit, and awarded ₦1 million in costs to the defendants.

Reacting after the judgment, defence counsel Ibrahim-Effiong described the decision as legally sound, insisting that Reverend Audu had no authority to initiate legal action on behalf of the church institution. 

Lead defendant  Bishop Ande I. Emmanuel  of the United Methodist Church Nigeria Episcopal Area and Senegal and Cameroon District,welcomed the verdict, calling it timely and just, and reaffirmed his church’s commitment to peace and dialogue despite the dispute.
Church authorities said the United Methodist Church Nigeria will resume services in previously closed churches from February 22, 2026, beginning with a Sunday service at Jatutu Memorial Cathedral, expected to be attended by Taraba State Governor Agbu Kefas.

 The church’s Chancellor, Benjamin Simon Panya described the ruling as a major relief and a sign that the courts remain a refuge for ordinary citizens seeking justice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INSECURITY: Two suspected kidnappers nabbed in Mayo Dassa, Jalingo.

Troops of six Brigade Nigerian Army headquarters ,Jalingo have dismantled a notorious kidnapping syndicate terrorizing parts of Jalingo and Lau Local Government Areas of Taraba State.  A statement by Acting Assistant Director Army Public Relations Six Brigade Nigeria Army headquarters, Jalingo, Captain Olubodunde Oni says the Brigade act on an intelligence report and two suspects, identified as Ali Idi and Haruna Umar were apprehended early this week. The statement adds that the culprits were captured during a raid at a local hotel in Mayo Dassa area of Jalingo metropolis where they were hiding.  It adds that Further investigations led to the discovery that the gang's hideout was at Kona Mountain in Jalingo , where additional members of the syndicate were believed to be camped. The statement says the leader of the gang Dahiru Idi was also apprehended following an operation at kona Mountain the following day. It states that the gang leader confessed to the recent kidn...

INSECURITY:Bissaula Community Leader Raises Alarm Over Renewed Attack, Calls for Lasting Security Deployment.

By Jako Keke, November 22,2025. A community leader in Bissaula Ward of Kurmi Local Government Area, Taraba State, Alhaji Idi Ismaila, has decried a fresh wave of violence that disrupted the fragile peace recently restored to the area. He made the remarks during a press briefing where he recounted the latest attack and appealed for urgent government intervention. According to Ismaila, the Bissaula community was thrown into panic on Wednesday, 19 November 2025, at about 8:00 p.m., when unknown gunmen, suspected to be members of the Ndaka-Chamba militia, stormed the village and opened fire. Their primary target was said to be Baba Umaru Gambo, a former youth leader of the community and current Commander of the Taraba Marshal in Kurmi Local Government Area. Ismaila explained that Gambo and another resident, Kefas Hassan Bui, were seated outside when the attackers arrived. Both men fled, but the assailants allegedly pursued Gambo, shooting him multiple times and leaving him with...

Kurmi on the Brink: Why Silence Now Could Spell Disaster

By The Nigerian Newspointer Editorial Board In the quiet hills and lush forests of Kurmi Local Government Area of Taraba State, an uneasy wind is blowing. Reports of an unusual influx of Fulani and Hausa migrants fleeing violence in Northern Nigeria have unsettled the peace of this agrarian enclave. Migration in itself is not new—men and women have always moved in search of safety, trade, and survival. But what is happening in Kurmi today bears markers that Nigeria has, sadly, seen before. And if urgent steps are not taken, the consequences could be dire. A Pattern Too Familiar From Plateau to Benue, from Southern Kaduna to Zamfara, Nigeria’s troubled history is littered with stories of migration that started innocently but later spiraled into violent conflicts. Farmers and herders once lived in uneasy but manageable coexistence until land sales, unchecked settlements, and political silence turned simple disputes into ethnic conflagrations. The echoes of those past crises are now knock...